Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Monday, 25 January 2016

Intentionally Speaking



On Saturday I attended the funeral of an 83-year-old man. Widowed just over five years ago, at the age of 78 he wrote in his journal: I want to find ways to make an impact on the lives of others in whatever time remains to me. I want to make a difference, and I want to go deeper into God’s Word.

And then, he didn’t just close his book and nod off by the fire; he actually set out to accomplish his goals. He wrote eloquent cards and letters to his children and grandchildren, notes that built them up, pointed out their good qualities and encouraged them. He actively participated in several prayer meetings and Bible studies and studied scripture on his own, asking thought-provoking questions and making copious notes on everything he discovered. His last few years were rich, all because he was intentional about how he lived them. And so his funeral service was a kind of celebration as he was admired by those he left behind.

That’s how I want to live. Hopefully I have more than five years left to me; I’m a lot younger than he was. But you never know, and so you must make the most of each day that is given.

Off the rails
Three of January’s weeks have already passed. The first week of my intentionality calendar worked very well, the last two less so. With the success of week one, I think I got lazy at consulting the calendar, but I also permitted contraventions I should not have. While I’d scheduled Saturday evenings as veg-out movie nights, I ended up spending more evenings than I now care to count binge-watching Hawaii Five-0 and Person of Interest. As a result, I did very little decluttering, which would have been more profitable.

Time to get back on track.

I had a conversation with my husband last night and suggested that we take this week to identify three or four areas to work on over the next 12 weeks—home, health, work, for example—and come up with some goals, objectives and strategies so that we accomplish some things. Next Sunday we’ll share and discuss our plans (communication!) so we’re on board with and can help each other. I think this will be more beneficial than going it alone.

No person is an island and intentionality doesn’t just happen. I want to leave a legacy of personal achievement. How about you?

A little worse for the wear, but back on track

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!