Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Sunday, 10 January 2016

Sermon Notes



Happy Sabbath, everyone!

While I’m calling Sundays’ posts ‘sermon notes,’ it doesn’t necessarily follow that I’ll be using the morning’s church services as a springboard. I may, depending on what I’ve heard and learned, but I may just as likely elaborate on a thought that comes out of my weekly devotion or prayer life, from something I’ve read or heard or seen.

Now that we’ve sorted that out, today’s post comes from something that occurred on the first of this year. As I was waking up that morning and before I had even opened my eyes, I said, ‘God, I know the plans that I have for this year, but what are Your plans for me? What do You want me to do?’ I paused, as if to say ‘take Your time in answering. I’ll wait,’ and shortly after, I felt the Lord reply, ‘tell more people about Jesus.’

Just to be clear, there was no audible voice. Not that I believe God doesn’t, or can’t, still speak that way to people today; I believe He can do anything He wants. However, that’s not how His voice came to me on Jan 1. It was more quiet than that.

Still, I knew it was from Him. No one is going to argue against the fact that God wants His children to ‘tell more people about Jesus’ and I wasn’t going to argue with Him either. Yes, like Moses, I could have said, ‘not me, God. I’m not an effective speaker. I’m not a theologian or an evangelist. I’m an introvert; I don’t like public speaking,’ etc (see Moses' responses to God  in Exodus 3 and 4). Instead I said, ‘Okay, God. But you’ll have to provide the opportunities.’ I believe God loves obedience.

Some might say it’s wrong to proselytize. I certainly don’t believe in shoving anything down anyone’s throat, and that will never be my approach. If you’re not a believer – if you’re an atheist, an agnostic, or someone who practices a faith other than Christianity – please don’t feel that you’re not welcome here. We’re all on some kind of spiritual journey. Even if you say, ‘there is no God,’ that’s a spiritual belief or commentary. And it’s okay. I can handle it and have respect for you. I hope you can do the same for me. This is not going to be place for a religious fist-fight (did you know God hates religion?).

Today I’d like to leave you with this insight from a well-known atheist who takes no issue with proselytizing. His thoughts make very good sense.

Entertainer Penn Jillette

4 comments:

  1. Thirty-three years ago when my son was two years old, I was hospitalized because I was in terrible pain. It turned out I had a gall bladder infection. My doctor sent me to the hospital and ordered pain medication and antibiotics for me. It took a long time before the nurses gave me my meds. I was in so much pain that I thought I was going to die. The second I had that thought, God told me (as with you, not an audible voice) that I was going to live because my son needed me. I've always felt that God's message to me is one of the most important events in my life. Occasionally, I get an idea stuck in my head about something I need to do, and I always know that it's God giving me instructions.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Janie. Your story is very cool and affirming of how cool our God is!

      Delete
  2. Such an interesting clip from ol' Penn! Love your welcoming attitude, which is very refreshing. Glad to see you writing so regularly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimber - I'm happy to *be* writing regularly! I hope you will be doing the same very soon.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!