Have you ever driven while tired? Your eyes can hardly stay open and you keep yawning? Ever been so tired behind the wheel that you’ve slapped yourself in the face?
I have. A couple of times. And it’s not good.
Instead of slapping yourself, how about pulling over and catching a few Zs? Even a fifteen minute catnap is better than falling asleep while driving. We all know how that ends.
- Get someone else to do the driving
- Get someone else to ride shotgun. This should be someone lively and vibrant, who can keep the conversation flowing.
- Grab a large coffee from home or your favourite brewer (or, as I prefer, a small French Vanilla cappuccino from Tim Hortons)
- Have a cold, wet washcloth with you and apply it to your face as necessary. But try not to be distracted by this action; it could cost you demerit points if you’re pulled over or your reaction time could be slowed.
- Listen to upbeat music on the radio – none of that classical stuff.
Here are some albums (along with a sample song) that helped me through a recent one-hour drive:
New World Son: Rebel Transmission
Canadian group from southwestern Ontario. Such a fun group - love their music, and I'm sure you'll see why. Here's Selah
Peter Furler: On Fire
Aussie artist and former lead of the Newsboys. Enjoy I'm Alive
Greg Sczebel: Here to Stay
Greg is a Canadian artist. I couldn't find a video that suited me from the aforementioned album, but this song will give you a taste of his music. Causin' a Commotion
What are some of your strategies or favourite driving music to avoid self-slapping?