Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Monday, 7 March 2016

Question of the Month



This month’s question: Have you ever met an idol/influence/someone you really admire? How did it go? If you haven’t met any of your idols before, talk about the person you’d like to meet.

In some ways this is a very tough question to answer. Have I ever met an idol? Not really. An influence or someone I really admire? Of course. Lots of people have influenced my life – my mom, my grandparents, my husband, teachers, even my children – and they are all admirable in different ways… But I don’t think this answers the real question, which is “have you ever met someone about whom you could name-drop?” And I don’t mean my paraphrase to in any way disparage the question.

I’ve met Beverly Thomson of Canada AM fame and it went fine. Well, we were both in high school when we first met and the last time I saw her was at a mini-reunion. Does that count?

I went to school with a few ‘famous’ people – Beverly; Don McKellar, the director (though granted, he’s older than I am and we never had any classes together); Gord Perks, who is now a Toronto City Councillor (also older than I); probably others I’m not thinking of right now…

Back to the question minus the temptation to name-drop. A few years ago I almost met mystery author Robin Hathaway, with whom I’d enjoyed a correspondence. We were both really looking forward to it. I was going to be visiting Lancaster, Pennsylvania and was going to make the drive to Philadelphia where she then lived. She planned to show us her city and have us to her home for a meal. Sadly, it didn’t happen. Instead she got cancer, wound up in treatment and eventually lost her battle.

Nowadays the people I would most like to meet are well-known pastors, people like Andy Stanley, James MacDonald and Jim Cymbala. I wouldn’t even have to speak to them one-on-one; I’d just like to hear them preach in their own environment. Or one of the children I sponsored for a long time through Compassion, Gilian from Uganda. And I’d like to be mentored by an author, though I’m not sure which one just now.

What about you? Have you ever met someone you really admire? How did that go? Alternatively, whom would you like to meet?
_____________________
Are you part of the Question of the Month blog hop?  Why not join us here?

10 comments:

  1. I'm with you on not really wanting to meet specific people, but wanting to hear them speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word "idol" is tricky. I've never met an idol or even a celebrity. I don't think I really have an idol but I do have a list of people I admire who inspire me. One of them is my answer for this question. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I will go looking for your answer :)

      Delete
  3. Hahaha I didn't find that paraphrase disparaging. In fact, I thought "Good call - I guess I was looking for people to name drop."

    Being mentored by an author would be amazing.

    A Life Examined

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael! Hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  4. I probably not want to decide who I'd meet because I'd likely be disappointed. I'd rather be surprised with an encounter of someone unexpected.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always nice, too, Arlee!

      Delete
  5. I answered the Question of the Month. I would love to meet so many people. I think President and Mrs. Obama are at the top of my list.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw your answer but didn't have time to comment. Will go and do that right now.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!