Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Friday, 1 April 2016

A is For...


Welcome to the first A-Z Challenge post of the 7th annual blogging event! Before we get started, I’d just like to let new visitors know that I don’t always write about the subject matter I’ll be addressing during the Challenge (see the weekly schedule in the sidebar), though it would be fine if I did.  My theme for this 26-post series is a topical examination of the Bible. I hope these pieces speak to you.

Without further ado let’s begin with A is for anger.



I’m sure we’ve all met someone we’d consider an angry person. The Bible teaches us that when it comes to anger, we have choices:

1) Tone of voice is important.
A gentle answer turns away anger, but a sharp word causes anger. (Proverbs 15:21)
2) We need to choose wisely the people with whom we associate.
Do not have anything to do with a man given to anger, or go with a man who has a bad temper. (Proverbs 22:24)
3) We can let God handle the situation, instead of bungling matters and making them worse.
Christian brothers, never pay back someone for the bad he has done to you. Let the anger of God take care of the other person. The Holy Writings say, “I will pay back to them what they should get, says the Lord.” (Romans 12:19)
4) We should not let anger fester, but let it pass quickly.
If you are angry, do not let it become sin. Get over your anger before the day is finished.(Ephesians 4:26)
5) If we fail to handle anger appropriately, there are serious consequences.
A man’s anger does not allow him to be right with God. (James 1:20)
I’ve heard it said that ‘anger is the outward expression of not getting our own way.’ The best thing we can do for an angry person is to pray that s/he will learn self-management and have eyes to see the damaging effect of anger on his/her relationships. It can be hard to address another person’s anger issue, so also pray for God to give you opportunity and the right words to use. Highlighting or bookmarking verses in their personal Bible would not go over well!

Some good books on the topic:



OvercomingEmotions that Destroy by Chip Ingram and Becca Johnson

The HiddenLink Between Adrenaline and Stress by Dr. Archibald Hart

Today's prayer: God, please help me to make the right choices when it comes to anger.  Help me to live in a way that pleases You.

6 comments:

  1. In nearly 29 years of marriage there is one piece of advice we have always listened to. And that is to never go to bed angry. Best advice ever. Nice to find you on the A to Z challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on 29 years - you're a living example of the wisdom of not letting anger fester. May you enjoy many more years together!

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan, your piece today made me think about how I'd been behaving the last couple of days. I needed that reminder that anger doesn't solve anything. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy my post could offer you that, Kimberley. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. I find that anger also can stem from fear - fear of losing something, or not being in control, or being hurt. Sometimes if you can identify that fear (usually in a family member) you can address it and defuse the situation. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Li. Thanks for the 'follow'!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!