Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Thursday, 7 April 2016

F is For...


Today we'll cut straight to the chase: F is for Fear.

The Bible uses the word ‘fear’ in a couple of ways:

1. to have a reverential awe of <fear God>

For example,

Come, my children, and listen to me, and I will teach you to fear the Lord. (Psalm 34:11)
Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment. (Proverbs 9:10)
Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:7)

When you consider how holy, sinless, and perfect God is, it is right that we should hold Him in ‘reverential awe’.

The second way fear is used is what we more commonly think of:

2. to be afraid and worried

To that the Bible offers,
This is my command – be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)
The Lord is my light and my salvation – so why should I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)

If we believe that God loves us and is trustworthy, that He has a good plan for our lives and has us in His hand, we can stand strong in the face of danger and difficulty. We are human, of course – we don’t want to confront trouble and harm – but when we need wisdom and strength, He will give it to us; we have only to ask.

Philippians 4:13 is an oft-quoted verse that can be used in the fearful times:
I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Isn’t this what Christian martyrs have demonstrated throughout the ages?

For a list of 145 ‘do not be afraid’-type verses, please visit Milly’s Scribblings.

Today’s prayer: Father, help us to demonstrate the reverential awe You deserve because of who You are. Help us to trust You daily, to not be afraid, and to cast our cares on You, knowing that You care for us (1 Peter 5:7).
***
Don't forget to check out the other bloggers in the A-Z Blogging Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!