Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Friday, 15 April 2016

M is For...



It’s rather ironic that today is income tax deadline day in the United States and I am working toward our April 30 deadline here in Canada. Today’s topic is: M is for Money!


The Bible has much to say about it.

First on the subject of giving back to God:
Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test! (Malachi 3:10)
Jesus sat down near the collection box in the Temple and watched as the crowds dropped in their money. Many rich people put in large amounts. Then a poor widow came and dropped in two small coins.  Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions.  For they gave a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she had to live on.”  (Mark 12:41-44)
We ought to generously give to God’s work and acknowledge our gratitude for how much He has done for us.
Secondly, on the temptation for money to become an idol in our lives. You may recall the first two commandments:
You must not have any other god but me. You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind, or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the see. You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. (Deuteronomy 5:7-9)
Yes, money can replace God as our first love!
“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. (Matthew 6:24)
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. (1 Timothy 6:10)
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)
“Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith...” I wonder what God would have to say about prosperity preachers today. Is it a false gospel? While He owns the cattle on a thousand hills (Psalm 50:10), Jesus didn’t even have a place to lay His head during His time of ministry (Luke 9:58). And remember, He gave up His throne and His place in heaven to be the son of a carpenter and a housewife on earth.

This is what God has to say about the rich:
Better the poor whose walk is blameless than the rich whose ways are perverse. (Proverbs 28:6)
Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” (Matthew 19:23-24)
“But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort. Luke 6:24
“...a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God.” (Luke 12:21)
Rich and poor have this in common: The Lord is the Maker of them all. (Proverbs 22:2)
As humans we tend to give more status to those who have money and position, but in God’s sight this is wrong. We are all made in God’s image and have value to Him. Let us be lovers of God and not put anything or anyone else before Him. Let us see money for what it is: a tool to meet our physical needs and to bless others who are less fortunate.
Today’s prayer: God, thank You for providing for all of my needs and many of my wants. Help me to keep putting my faith in You and not in money or any other thing or person. Help me to be content, to use wisely the resources You have given me and to walk blamelessly in Your sight.

***
Don't forget to check out the other bloggers in the A-Z Blogging Challenge

4 comments:

  1. I've known good, solid, caring people who were "well to do" and some who "didn't have a pot to piss in". I think prosperity preachers are doing their congregation an injustice. Yes, God does does tell us to trust Him, try Him and prove Him, but we often forget that He operates on a different value system than the world. And he will "give us the desires of our heart." BUT, he gives us "right" desires in our heart, not any old thing our heart desires. Many, many times God chooses to meet our needs "exactly". I think that is so that we know for sure He met them.
    Revisit the Tender Years with me during the #AtoZChallenge at Life & Faith in Caneyhead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen again, Barbara! Thanks for chiming in with your thoughtful comments. I am unofficially following you @ Life & Faith. Don't want to join Google+

      Delete
  2. See, this is what I love about the #Challenge. You start out in North Carolina and go blog hopping on Saturday afternoon with a tennis match in Monte Carlo heating up. Delighted to find your format that is easy to read, uncluttered, easy to navigate. The writing is center stage, not an after thought with blogging tricks. I congratulate you and I will now follow because of this. As a Christian, I appreciate your theme and some thoughts for the letter M. If you have time or interest, my theme is hotels and inns this year. A writer, the blog is about books and other interest during the year. Hope I bump into you while visiting other participants work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my blog, Stepheny. I am popping over to your blog right now!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!