Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Friday, 27 May 2016

Flashback Friday

Today we return to May 12, 2008, when I wrote the following on my old blog, Notes from Innisfree:

Mothers deserve a day off. Maybe it's bold of me to say - as a mother, perhaps I should be more self-effacing - but it's true. We work hard for no money, and often for little apparent gratitude. So a day that's devoted entirely to recognizing our contribution to the family is appropriate.

That being said, I've learned not to expect too much of the day. Children are children, after all, and their efforts usually require prodding, either by a teacher or by the non-mothering parent. Thinking of others to any great degree, even of the one who brought us into the world, is a quality that comes to fruition only after years of hinting, encouraging, and maturing. I myself continue to appreciate my mother more as the years go by.

Still, I am not without hope, so it pleased me when I was asked what I wanted for Mother's Day breakfast. My reply - "surprise me" - was not the answer sought after, so I had to spell it out. Apparently, it is not only men who cannot read minds, children also suffer from this disability. Therefore, I requested - served in the kitchen and not in bed -half of a grapefruit, scrambled eggs, an all-beef sausage, waffles, and coffee. At the appointed time, any children in the house had vanished to the x-box and computer, so Daddy made the meal. It was tasty and prepared with love. A joined us in time to participate in its consumption.

As we were leaving the house for the day, A asked for cardstock paper. She had realized the previous day that she hadn't purchased a card and wanted to make me one. My son had presented his school-made card on Tuesday. It read "I love you. Have a CRAZY Mother's Day!" It was certainly turning out that way :)

After church, we headed off for Toronto, where my mother lives. It wasn't raining when we reached Toronto, so D went out to mow her yard, while I prepared lunch inside - scones, a bean salad I'd made the day before, and a garden salad. A worked on my card, warning me several times not to peek. When D came in, we ate lunch, then retired to the living room for an exchange of cards.

I had purchased the first card I looked at, not because I didn't care enough to spend hours in front of the rack, but because it spoke exactly to who my mother is - selfless in all that she does, always putting her family first. A's card to me was a collection of praises and thoughtfully chosen Bible verses. K brought out his present - a red rose with a green stem that he'd made out of duct tape at school. Who knew that such a beautiful creation could be made out of such a common household item?! Later he confided that a classmate had made a dozen of them for his mother, but K'd made only one, labouring intensely over it. One was perfect, I said, and it was true.

For supper we went out to Swiss Chalet. I'd thought that it wouldn't be so busy later in the day, but we still had a twenty minute wait to be seated. Swiss Chalet had a gift for every mother - a tealight candle in a small glass bowl, and a card with coupons to be used at a later date. I don't know if they do something like that every year, but it was certainly a nice touch.

We left my mother's house quite late, but filled with pleasant memories of the day. I still have dishes to wash from Saturday night's supper and Sunday's breakfast, but I am determined to put them off until Tuesday, since today is my birthday.

A day off may mean just postponing the inevitable return to reality, but we need to do that sometimes.

I don't usually quote the Pope, but here's a great statement from Pope Paul VI to leave you with: "Every mother is like Moses. She does not enter the promised land. She prepares a world she will not see."

Happy Belated Mother's Day to moms everywhere!


[2016 P.S. - we won't even discuss Mother's Day this year. Suffice it to say, the best part was the sermon at church!]


16 comments:

  1. That's a very apt quote about mothers. Mothers definitely do deserve a day off for all of their hard work and selflessness. I love that homemade card and rose that your children gave to you. Very sweet :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, Ellen!

      Delete
  2. Where would we be without our mothers! Literally not here, but through our lives most of our mothers carry us through in so many ways. I miss my mother a lot--she's been gone for nearly 2 years now.

    Gosh, I'd forgotten about those Swiss Chalet restaurants. I used to eat in them now and then when I was working in Canada. It's been years since I'd been to one, but I recall them being pretty good.

    I've added my self to your followers. Seems like not as many people are using Google Friend Connect like they used to. It was good that you had it at the top of your sidebar so that I'd notice it.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments, Arlee, and thanks for the follow (reciprocating!).

      Swiss Chalet is still a pretty decent restaurant and they've expanded their menu since you've been to one. No longer just chicken!

      And true, where would be without our mothers? They inform and shape our lives in so many ways...

      Delete
  3. My mom and my sister are two mothers I look up to. Mine was amazing and taught me well. My sister just deserves a mother of the year award because my two nephews are a handful with their energy and medical problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful tribute to your mom and sister, Patricia. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Cherish your mothers and write down all the amazing adventures they had before they aren't there to ask any more. For some reason we still don't value our mothers' experiences as well as we should.
    Love you, Mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely write those adventures down. You think you'll remember them, but you won't :( I wish my grandmother was still here so I could write out her stories. Trying to get my mom to write out hers.

      Delete
  5. My mom is currently at the beginning stages of dementia - the fun part, where you have to debate with people as to whether or not she is REALLY confused or forgetful. Of course, when she tries to put my deceased father on the phone, people start to give me some credit for my assessment.

    Cherish the moms. Life is so much shorter than your to-do list, where family is concerned.

    Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, cherish the people in your family. They are more important than any *thing*. Hugs as you love your mom through this challenging life stage.

      Delete
  6. Charming post. :) Sounds like you and your mother have a great relationship. It looks like we are in the same area of the world. Swiss Chalet is a great place to eat - reasonably priced and the food is always good. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are indeed in the same part of the world, Debbie. I grew up in Toronto! Remember the ad, "Swiss Chalet? OK!"?

      Delete
  7. I often think about what my Mum does for us that goes unappreciated. Mothers are stronger than the rest of us think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a sensitive son, Michael. On behalf of your mum, thanks for thinking about all the things she does that typically go unnoticed!

      Delete
  8. I appreciate my mother more and more as I get older and especially since having my own kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - having your own kids and getting older make you appreciate your own mother more. I feel exactly the same way.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!