Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Q is For...




 Finishing up the letters I missed during A-Z. Today’s letter is Q and Q is for Quiet.

The Bible has much to say about keeping quiet. First of all, it associates this quality with wisdom as the following verses indicate (also remember James 3:17, brought to you by the letter W?):
The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools. (Ecclesiastes 9:17)
Fools vent their anger, but the wise quietly hold it back. (Proverbs 29:11)
As those who are wise, we ought to:
Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we instructed you before. (1 Thessalonians 4:11)
You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. (1 Peter 3:4)
And some advice for the employed:
If your boss is angry at you, don’t quit! A quiet spirit can overcome even great mistakes. (Ecclesiastes 10:4)
And how to live peaceably in your community:
It is foolish to belittle one’s neighbor; a sensible person keeps quiet. (Proverbs 11:12)
We’ve all read newspaper stories of neighbours gone wrong. If only they had paid attention to this verse!

That’s not to say that we should never speak up. They say it was good Germans who allowed Hitler to carry out his atrocities. We must always speak against injustice and act to put down evil. There is
A time to tear and a time to mend. A time to be quiet and a time to speak. (Ecclesiastes 3:7)
And the foundation of it all is prayer:
I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity.  (1 Timothy 2:2)
Today’s prayer: God, thank You for the wisdom and ability to have a quiet spirit. By it much difficulty has been avoided. Help me as I engage in challenging conversations, that I might listen to the heart of the speaker and seek You for the right words to say in response. Help me to curb my impulsive tongue, which would lead me to tear down rather than build up. And lead me in Your way everlasting.

I'll leave you with this song based on Psalm 23. I hope it quiets your heart today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!