Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Monday, 2 May 2016

Question of the Month



So, I have to do a feedback report on the A-Z Blogging Challenge experience, but first I need to do the R-U posts this week. And before I do that, I need to answer May’s Question of the Month: 

“If a friend came to you looking for advice on starting a blog, what three pieces of advice would you give them?”

1. Choose a name that is catchy and memorable. For those who don’t bookmark their favourite sites, it’ll make it easier to relocate your blog when they want to read it again.

2. Give people an idea of what they can expect upfront. Indicate the type of content in your profile or in a schedule on your sidebar. My schedule tells people that on Mondays I write about intentionality, Tuesdays are for the bookworms in the crowd, Wednesdays are for mid-week miscellany, Thursdays the subject is friendship, Friday’s all about being thankful. Occasionally I also write on the weekend. In those instances, Saturdays have to do with diet and/or weight loss and Sundays are for what I call ‘sermon notes,’ even though they may not riff off of an actual Sunday morning sermon.

3. Don’t be discouraged if your blog doesn’t attract a lot of readers right from the get-go. Yes, it’s nice to get tons of comments (and don’t forget to reply to them!), but look at the early days as a chance to make mistakes and learn from them, and to build your skill as a blogger/writer.

And now I’m off to visit the rest of those participating in the monthly question. I’m sure to learn something I can apply!

***
Are you part of Michael D'Agostino's Question of the Month blog hop?  Why not join us here?

16 comments:

  1. Great advice for bloggers. Interacting is the best part, and keeps you motivated to write more, read more, and leave comments yourself.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Mary! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow, a topic for each day. That is dedication!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't always work out, but I try :)

      Delete
  3. Solid practical advice. For many of us, that first month or even first year of blogging, is practice and learning the ropes. Few blogger jump in to become an immediate success at it.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, and there are so many blogs out there competing for readers' attention. We can work toward success, but keep our expectations realistic.

      Delete
  4. Hey, you stole my #1 tip. Haha. Just kidding. Great minds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advice. Especially number 2. It can be easy to get discouraged because your blog doesn't take off, but that's normal. We all have to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Everyone begins at the beginning!

      Delete
  6. I remember how slow my blog took off and now I understand what I didn't do right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a learning experience!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for taking the time to keep in touch with the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for running it, Michael!

      Delete
  8. I like your advice about giving people an overview of what they'll find on your blog. I've visited so many blogs that have so much going on, and I can never seem to get back to a particular meme or sereies they post because I don't know when they post it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive feedback, Toinette! I know exactly what you mean. I too like to follow blogs that have a measure of predictability and rhythm to them :)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!