Today I'm taking a departure from the format of the last couple of weeks on this subject and borrowing The Christian Parents' Pledge from V. Gilbert Beers. This is copyrighted material, but free to distribute in non-profit ways.
simple daily commitments that will revolutionize families and the
world. Parenting is an "each day" activity - each day that is lost is
lost forever, each day gained is forever too!
With God's help, and to the best of my abilities, motivated by joy and not guilt, I will seek to do each of the following.
1. EACH DAY, I will spend at least as much time with my child as I do with my TV.
2. EACH DAY, I will share at least one fun-filled learning experience with my child.
3. EACH DAY, I will affirm my child as a person.
EACH DAY, I will affirm my mate (if I am married) or a significant
other in my child's life (if I am not married) in the presence of my
5. EACH DAY, I will affirm my Lord (praise Him, thank Him, honor Him) in the presence of my child.
6. EACH DAY, I will say "I love you" to my child.
7. EACH DAY, I will make one truth from God's Word the delight of my child's life.
8. EACH DAY, I will pray for my child by name.
9. EACH DAY, I will read something to my child that will build his/her love for the Lord and the joy of reading.
10. EACH DAY, I will help my child feel the warmth of my personal presence - a hug, a kiss, sitting on my lap.
myself I have not done these perfectly each day, and perfection is not
the goal, since that will inevitably lead to guilt. But I think these
are great principles and worth striving for. As long as your children are at home, it's never too late to
start! Why not post these somewhere to remind yourself often of your daily 'commitments'?]
If you missed week one of Intentional Parenting, click here.
If you missed week two, click here.
Have a blessed week!