Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Interlibrary Loan



Like many libraries, if not most, ours offers an interlibrary loan service for those books we don’t own. That is, if a customer wants a book that is at least one year old, and we don’t keep it in our system, we will search for a copy to borrow from a location outside our area.

One customer clearly didn’t quite understand how it worked. I received this call:

Customer: Hello, I’d like to borrow x title through interlibrary loan. It’s available at y library (he named a mega system).

After checking the title to make sure it wasn’t in our collection, I looked at the interlibrary loan database for an owning location. The only one listed was the one he’d identified, but their copy was reference – for use in library only.

Me: I’m sorry; I don’t know if we’ll be able to get that for you. It’s reference. Even if they send it to us, you’ll have to use it in the library here.

Customer: I need to be able to take it home with me.

Me: It’s not possible. It’s for in library use only.

Customer: I know they won’t let me take it out from y library, but if they send it to you, I’ll come and get it.

Me: (Huh?) That’s what I’m saying. Reference material can’t leave the library, no matter which library has possession of it. Where are you calling from?

The customer identified himself as a resident of the city in which y library was located.

Me: Do you attend school in our area? Do you have one of our library cards?

Customer: No.

Oy, vey!! Take two get-with-it pills and don’t call me in the morning!

The customer gives even this little girl a headache!!

4 comments:

  1. I think he was trying Jedi mind tricks on you. Glad you didn't fall for it! You should have suggested another book for him to read ...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!