Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Monday, 6 June 2016

Question of the Month



I still have the letter U left over from the A-Z Challenge, and I still haven’t done my reflection report – sigh – but first the June Question of the Month. This month Michael asks a very timely question: “Of all the places in the world that you haven’t yet been to, where would you like to go next?”

Why do I say ‘timely’? My husband and I have been mulling over our vacation options for some time, and have finally made some decisions.

First to answer the heart of the question: where would I like to go next? If money and time were no obstacle, I’d like to visit Sweden. I’ve been fascinated with Swedish culture since I was nine years old – the year I first heard The Samuelsons, a group of musical brothers who visited my church as part of a missions conference. In their day The Samuelsons were much loved by Christian audiences across North America and around the world. In grade 8 I wrote a story for English class called ‘Steph’s Sweet Swede Dreams’ (yes, it was a romance) and as an adult I wrote another romance short story set in Minnesota (where there is a large Swedish presence). When we had our daughter, we gave her a Swedish name. And a couple of years ago my husband and I attended the annual Swedish Christmas festival in Toronto. I ‘heart’ Sweden!

Stockholm
All that being said, I won’t be getting there this year. Maybe when we celebrate our 25th anniversary, though that’s more likely to take us to Hawaii or on our first cruise. Ah, well; one can continue to dream. And there are so many places in the world deserving of attention.

It does seem that I’ll be crossing an item off my bucket list in 2016 with a visit to Mackinac Island. I’ve booked hotel accommodation on either side of our time there and am waiting to hear back from a couple of places concerning availability on the dates we hope to go. I’d have worked on this earlier, but we thought we’d be going on a church trip to Quebec. We just learned that the Quebec trip is off, so plan B it is. That’s okay since it’s a bucket list item!!

Mackinac Island, downtown
We’ll also be traveling to Lancaster, Pennsylvania with my mom and my aunt for a trip through Amish country later in the summer. We’ll attend the performance of Samson at the Sound and Light Theatre as well as Josiah for President! at the theatre in Bird-in-Hand.

Amish country
We might get to New York City with some members from our church life group this fall. That would cross off another bucket list item: hearing Jim Cymbala preach at the Brooklyn Tabernacle. His books have meant so much to me this year. 
Brooklyn Bridge, NYC
But I’m not sure we'll get there since we have so much else going on, including our furthest destination:

California, here we come! Yes, it’s the year of the U.S.! We’re taking a week to visit friends who live in the southern part of the state. I actually booked our tickets yesterday. That’s always nerve-wracking (choosing flights). Gah! But now that it’s done we can focus on what to do and see while we’re there. We really want to take it pretty easy and chill, and avoid the big cities like LA. Even though it’s not Sweden, I’m looking forward to our time there – we’ve never been to CA before – and to having time with good friends.
Joshua Tree National Park

So, where would you like to go next and where are you going next? They’re not necessarily the same thing!
_________________
 
Are you part of the Question of the Month blog hop?  Why not join us? Sign up here!

20 comments:

  1. I've traveled to Disney World in Orlando and Kiawah Island in SC so far this year. We have two more trips planned: Chapel Hill, NC for a family reunion and Toronto for a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely. Have you visited Toronto before?

      Delete
  2. I have family in Michigan, so one day I hope to see the Mackinac Island as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will let you know what it's like!

      Delete
  3. I live near Los Angeles. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there even though I do. I can think of worse though. California has a lot to offer, but I'm no fan of the governments running things here.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Arlee! Thanks for chiming in, and I'm sorry you have to live in LA :)

      Delete
  4. Sweden does sound nice. One of my Great Grandmothers came to the US on a boat from Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! You should go sometime - heritage and all that!

      Delete
  5. I love your Sweden dream. Hope you get there. I drive through Lancaster pretty often and was there for a writer's conference last month. I never think of it as a tourist destination though Light and Sound productions are popular and well-known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang. Sorry I couldn't have timed my visit to coincide with a writer's conference!

      Delete
  6. It's very pretty and peaceful in that part of Pennsylvania.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. I saw 'Jonah' there a few years ago.

      Delete
  7. An old boyfriend of mine was from Sweden. He always spoke highly of his country. The people are also very beautiful. Every picture he showed me left me in awe of the people's beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweden is a nice country. Stockholm is awesome. We have a cabin in the Swedish mountains, so I go there quite often for skiing, more or less all weekends and holidays throughout the winter >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so blessed! You must be from Sweden - I hadn't realized!!

      Delete
  9. That's interesting, I've never separated where I'd like to go from where I probably will go. I talk about going overseas a lot but a=I guess it's liklier I'll be somewhere in Australia first.

    Excited that you get to go travelling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fun post to read with great photo support. Now be a good girl and get your reflection post written to gather your thoughts in one place should you participate again. It helps. As far a the letter U is concerned....next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is written and will appear on Thursday :) Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!