Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Wednesday, 27 July 2016

Extensions

No, this is not a post about hair. Today I'm talking about telephone extensions and how people use them

We have several such extensions at my workplace, and just for fun, I dialed the library's main number to verify what directions people receive when they call. After being informed of our name of business, customers are advised to:
  • press 0 for an operator at any time
  • press 1 for Branch 1
  • press 2 for Branch 2
  • press 3 for Branch 3
  • press 5 for information on renewing materials
  • dial the 3-digit extension of the party they wish to reach, assuming they know what  the extension is
  • press 8 for a staff directory
At no time are they offered the extension number for the desk at which I sit. At this point in my exploration, I checked our library's website. Sure enough, the extension for the Information Desk is there, albeit considerably way down on the page.

Still, I am puzzled. Why, you ask? For this simple reason: not infrequently we receive calls at the Information Desk that go like this:

Me: X Library, Susan speaking. How may I help you? 

Customer: Could I please have extension 1-2-3?   

Me: ???

Of course I really say 'yes' and put them through, but it boggles my mind why they dial my extension when they know the extension they want to reach.

I like to think I'm a fairly intelligent person, but if anyone can explain this to me, I'd be most grateful!  


4 comments:

  1. You said it! I had this happen again just this morning. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They sure do, Susan! (Love your name, by the way! LOL)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!