Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Monday, 29 August 2016

Back to School

I have two young people moving into residence next Monday. They are off today buying school supplies. It seems they no longer need Mother along to guide (or pay for!) their purchases or to question their choices. How sad for me, and yet how gratifying too. Our purpose in parenting is to lead our children to the point where they can stand on their own two feet. This is a gradual process, one in which we all learn. Our children learn by making mistakes and experiencing victories, and we learn to let go as they develop confidence and capability.

I have a few thoughts for blog posts, but am taking the rest of the week off. Though I don't have as much to help my children with this year, I have to prepare for writers' group tonight and this week I have two physiotherapy appointments, three shifts at work, tea and 'biscuits' at the home of a friend my daughter and I share, and an evening life group meeting. That leaves only Friday, Saturday and Sunday to make sure A and K have all that they need for move-in day. We don't want to make multiple trips to the school even though it's not far.

This fall we'll be semi-empty-nesters. I'm sure the kids will come home for occasional visits - Thanksgiving, Reading Week, and Christmas at least. I'm not sure what their plans are beyond the end of the academic year; maybe this is it. Regardless, it's bound to be a transition for all of us, and I wish all of us well. If you have any advice for this season of life, please feel free to share it in the comments!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!