Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Friday, 26 August 2016

Flashback Friday

Thanks for the positivity during my recent illness. Things did happen in threes, unfortunately: first, I got sick, then I fell in the shower and tore a muscle in my side, then I wound up with pink eye!! But apart from my side, which still mostly hurts, I am finally better.

And now a post from April 28, 2012, when I still had my old blog, Notes from Innisfree. I called this one 'Yellow Brick Road' and wrote it for the A-Z Blogging Challenge:

As part of my daughter's birthday celebration (she had her birthday on Thursday this week), we're going to see a stage production of The Wizard of Oz today. That got me thinking that the 'yellow brick road' would be an appropriate topic for today's letter, Y.

What was the yellow brick road? It was the path Dorothy and Toto, along with the scarecrow, tin man, and cowardly lion, had to travel to get to Oz. What did they hope to find there? The wizard, who they hoped would help Dorothy and Toto get home, give the scarecrow some brains, give the tin man a heart, and fill the lion with courage. In other words, each had a need they thought the wizard would be able to fill. In the end, though, they discover that each had what s/he needed right from the start. Dorothy and Toto had the ruby slippers that would enable them to return to Kansas; the scarecrow had a brain, the tin man a heart, and the lion his courage. They just didn't know it.
 
Isn't that like most of us? We have what we need, but don't realize it, or don't know how to access it. Of course, for many, the void is Jesus. They need him, but don't think they do. Or they know there's a God-shaped hole inside, but they don't want to give up control to him. They believe they know what's best and they're afraid God would "ruin" all their dreams and plans. Hey, he's the giver of dreams and all good things (James 1:17). He's not a killjoy. His plans are for our good and not to harm us (Jeremiah 29:11).  He gives all that we need for living (2 Peter 1:3), and nothing is impossible with him (Luke 1:37).
 
If you have a dream, don't be afraid to fulfill it, especially if you know God has given it to you, and shaped you to achieve it. Trust in God, and don't lean on your own feeble understanding. In all your ways, seek the will of the One who created you, and he will direct your path (Proverbs 3:5-6). Honey-child, you have a destiny, and it doesn't involve traveling down a mythical yellow brick road. It's the real deal.

8 comments:

  1. Great inspirational message! You've had quite a summer by the sound of things. Try to have a Fall without falls and stay well for the remainder of the year.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arlee; it seems to have been the year of falls for my family - first my husband in December, then my mom in February, and lastly (I hope!) me this month.

      Delete
  2. I remember watching the Wizard of Oz every year on TV. My sister and I would always be scared by the flying monkeys :-) Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the flying monkeys were very scary!! Thanks, Ellen :)

      Delete
  3. Funny coming to yours straight after Patricia Lynne's post, about turning points! I've never watched the Wizard of Oz, only clips. It sort of filtered through into the UK along with everything else from the US in the 80s and 90s, by which time I was well past it! But then again, I've never watched the Sound of Music, only clips. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, now I have to go read Patricia Lynne's post - I'm a bit behind! You MUST watch the entirety of both The Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music, Jemima. That's your homework!

      Delete
  4. Good sound advice and a reminder on faith. Thank you. I also liked the references to the Wizard of Oz; a bit of a fan here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Toinette. The post was a good reminder for me, too :)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!