Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Monday, 1 August 2016

Question of the Month

Happy August, everyone! This month's question is: What is your favourite beach? I'm going to give you my top three, cuz that's just the kind o' gal I am!

My favourite Canadian beach is located in Newfoundland, a place that is dear to my heart. My grandfather was born and raised there and while he spent the vast majority of his life in Ontario, we spent many a summer vacation in his home province. Much of that time involved roaming the abandoned outport in which he was born (Bradley's Cove, for the record), and many an hour in what was known as Crocker's Cove, named after one of several families who'd established the area. Unfortunately, I didn't get a great photo of the beach when I was last there (2010), but here's a half-decent one from my previous visit:


As you can see, it's not sandy, but it's a great place for finding smoothly rounded beach rocks, or for throwing rocks back into the ocean. In my opinion, Newfoundland is one of the most beautiful places in the world. If it wasn't so far away by car, I would go there more often - no doubt about it!

My favourite beach in the United States is located at Fort DeSoto State Park, Florida. In 2005 (and in other years!), it was voted America's Best Beach, which is why we visited it during our trip in '06. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint. Take a look:


Gorgeous, right? When we went in April, there were very few people to spoil the endless stretch of sand. While there weren't tons of seashells, at least not by the time of day at which we arrived, we did enjoy inspecting those we could find. The water was clean, clear and delightfully temperate. Who could ask for more?

Lastly, my favourite 'local' beach - another sandy one, but this time brought to you by Wasaga Beach, Ontario. It's a bit of a drive for me, made well worth the trip for the longest freshwater beach in the world (14 kms). While it can get crowded on long weekends, and I suppose anytime during the summer, if you arrive early enough, you're sure to find a good spot. I went last year with a couple of girlfriends from high school, and we had a wonderful time.


As you can see by the waves, it can be pretty windy, and we had a hard time holding onto our hats! A good idea to layer, so you can add or remove according to the air temperature. None of us actually went in the water that long August weekend, but there were a number of souls more brave than we!

So, 'fess up - what's your favourite beach? Don't be afraid to name more than one!
_______________

Are you part of the Question of the Month blog hop?  Why not join us? Sign up here!

14 comments:

  1. I haven't been to many but I'll say the beach on the oath by my house bc I have many fond memories of biking and walking along this beach as a child, teen and adult. Next would say the beach in Capitola California where I was in 1998 on a missiona trip and my third would be Costa Rica where we went on our honeymoon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, April. The beach near your house is a lovely place for a peaceful walk, for sure. I can't speak to the others, but if I ever get a chance... :)

      Delete
  2. Your coves in Newfoundland remind me a bit of the North Shore of Lake Superior here in MN. Rugged, cool, beautiful, and hypnotic.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely rugged! Thanks for visiting, Mary!

      Delete
  3. Although I live in Florida, I've never heard of Fort DeSoto State Park. It sounds lovely.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do pay it a visit! Well worth the drive!

      Delete
  4. Cavendish Beach, PEI. Not the public beach, the one that's just a two or three minute walk from the cabins at Cavendish By The Sea. Beautiful beach, and if there's another person on the beach it's crowded. That's my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - Cavendish is a great beach, Bruce! Thanks for reminding me :)

      Delete
  5. Oh wow it looks so pretty. I love that you have a connection there too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those beaches look and sound amazing. I'd love to see beaches in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time you long to see a new beach in Canada, come west to Vancouver. We have some interesting and beautiful places here, all along the Pacific coast. And fresh water beaches as well. :)
    My post on my favorite beach is finally live too, if a week late: https://olgagodim.wordpress.com/2016/08/08/question-of-the-month-august-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Vancouver once and visited Kitsilano Beach. It's been ages, though, so no doubt I need to visit again to remind myself of west coast beach beauty. My husband's never been, so you never know... :)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!