Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Rules for the Drive-Thru


My husband and I were fourth in line at the drive-thru last night, stuck behind at least one person in violation of the unwritten rules of the drive-thru. I'm sure we're not the only people who were peeved as we spent at least ten minutes spewing our exhaust into the atmosphere when it should have been a quick process.

As a courtesy to those who may be unaware of the rules and procedures one ought to apply to this situation, here they are:

1. Know what you want before you enter the drive-thru lane. This makes placing your order incredibly easy when you arrive at the microphone. If you have questions about any of the items on the menu, skip the drive-thru, park, and go inside. Be considerate of others.

2. Don't use the drive-thru to order one or several meals. The drive-thru is intended for orders that are quick to supply, like coffee and a muffin/donut/croissant. If your order is larger or more complicated, park and go inside.

3. Don't change your mind about what you want between the microphone/speaker system and the drive-thru window. That just aggravates the cashier/server and holds up the line behind you.

4. Don't ask for substitutions to established menu items. Again, that's complicating the order. In this venue, they're intended to be simple and straightforward.

See how easy it is to properly use the drive-thru? In my opinion as simple as 1-2-3-4.

And here's a 'Do' for you as well:

On occasion, do pay for the person behind you in line. For one thing, it's unexpected and will make his/her day. For another, all day long you'll feel great about your random act of kindness. The world could use more of that, sometimes especially in the drive-thru.

8 comments:

  1. Except for when you have a bunch of little kids who are a nightmare to pull out of a vehicle and then get back in said vehicle, I mostly agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any chance of leaving the urchins at home with another adult or older child while you do your drive-thru run? I feel your pain.

      Delete
  2. I especially like your point about paying for someone else. I never go to places that have drive-throughs, though. I like my neighborhood diner. It's kind of like Cheers, but without the beer. I walk in the door and everyone yells, It's Janie! Run and hide!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your neighborhood diner sounds delightful, Janie :)

      Delete
  3. I had this happen to me two days ago and I'm still not over it!!! The woman in the van in front of me was reading a list of breakfast orders from her cell phone?!?! Gah hhhh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much! She couldn't do that *inside*?

      Delete
  4. Rule #5. Turn off your stupid diesel engine in your big giant truck while you order and then when the person behind you orders. I hate screaming my order so loud over the noise that the people across the street know I am ordering a Chili dog with onions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Toni. Great 5th rule!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!