Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Tuesday, 4 October 2016

Book Review: Simply Happy: A Crash Course in Chicken Soup for the Soul Advice and Wisdom

Author: Amy Newmark
Genre: Inspiration, Memoir
Publisher: Chicken Soup for the Soul, 2016

As someone who's had a couple of pieces published by Chicken Soup for the Soul I was curious to know more about the woman behind it. How had she had the wherewithal to acquire the company when originator Jack Canfield was ready to hand it off? What professional background did she bring to the role? And then there was the other part of the book - what advice and wisdom had she garnered over the years from Chicken Soup writers, and how might that learning be used to guide others?

Simply Happy simply does not disappoint. Amy shares various stories from her own life, including her interests in reading and writing and the business background that equipped her to tackle a publishing company. She is also transparent in sharing some of the more personal details of her life and relationships. This is greatly appreciated as Chicken Soup writers make themselves vulnerable, often telling readers things that their families are only hearing for the first time. I love that Amy "gets" it.

The most important goal of the book is to identify simple ways that people can make for-the-better changes in their own attitudes and behaviours. The book is divided into chapters that correspond with the desired shifts in thought and action. In each chapter, Amy reveals her favourite Chicken Soup stories that pertain to the advice/wisdom and how others' experiences served to make her own life better. The reader is encouraged to also act on these lessons.

I found much worth applying here, whether the subject was parenting, time management, embracing life fully, or something else. I'm sure you will too. Check with your local bookstore for a copy or visit Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Indie Bound. Ask your library to order it for the collection!

Full disclosure: I received my copy of the book free from the publisher in exchange for my completely honest review.

My favourite quote was this one from Mahatma Gandhi: 
I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet. 

2 comments:

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!