Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Friday, 28 October 2016

Flashback Friday

I wrote this post on my old blog in June of 2015. I was an occasional participant in the "Five Minute Friday" blog hop. I think I'd like get back to that...

In light of the fact that there's a marriage workshop at our church this weekend, I thought I'd share this one:

 
This post is part of "Five Minute Friday" where we get five minutes to write on a one-word topic. Today's word is "GIFT" if you choose to join us, it's pretty simple. Don't worry about editing or rewriting, just let the words flow for five minutes. And then stop and share with others! 
 
GIFT
God's Word tells us that children are a gift. So is marriage. I've been doing some reading, and there are a few points I've come across that I think are worth sharing. In marriage, you should:
  • Be as considerate to your spouse as you are to strangers and coworkers.
  • Consider what your mate has asked you to do or not do. If in doubt, ask.
  • Treat your mate the way you want to be treated.
When you are considerate, when you act on what you've been asked to do, when you treat your spouse the way you want to be treated (often called 'the golden rule'), you are giving him/her a gift. The gift of consideration. The gift of respect. 
 
Do you treat others better than the way you treat your spouse? If so, why? Why would you treat someone you haven't made a lifelong commitment to, someone you haven't exchanged vows with, better than you treat the one you promised to love? 
 
Over time, we can treat our marriages with a casualness they don't deserve. We get sloppy and careless. The busyness of life, the arrival of children, the interference of others who have their own interests and needs, can get in the way. If this is the case in your life and you're interested in transforming your marriage relationship (you should be!), think about what you can do to be more considerate and respectful.

If  in doubt, ask. Give your mate the gift of your care.

8 comments:

  1. This is so important to remember in marriage or any close relationship. If we're always out to impress others whom we barely know or rarely see, our actions are far less likely to be remembered or have impact as how we treat those we are with on a regular basis. The Golden Rule should be the standard by which we live.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Arlee. Thanks for chiming in. How we treat those who are closest to us is paramount. If we don't treat them well, it doesn't really matter how we treat anyone else.

      Delete
  2. My ex-husband and I went to marriage counseling. I guess you can tell that didn't work. I always felt that I was the least important person in his life.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a horrible feeling, Janie. And if only one person is committed to counseling and working on the marriage it never works.

      Delete
  3. Excellent advice. Thanks for re-posting this gem. It's true, over time couples often take each other for granted. We were in a rut like that a few years ago. What helped us was some time apart. It gave us a new appreciation for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to work things through, Debbie. So true that we begin taking one another for granted after a while. Something we must continually guard against.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully said. People in our lives are gifts, and we should treat them accordingly. And finding blogs like yours is a gift, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Eli! And thanks for including me in 6 Words; that is also a gift!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!