Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Sunday, 4 December 2016

Advent: Peace



Christmas can be anything but peaceful. We rush to and fro, trying to find the perfect gift for that special someone, trying to plan the perfect menu, buying ingredients, making meals and goodies, going to Christmas parties. On and on it goes. For many it can be depressing because no matter how well you plan, something always seems to go wrong or not live up to what was hoped for.

When the angels appeared to the shepherds, they sang, "Glory to God... and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests." This was how they heralded the arrival of Christ, with a salutation of praise to God and a declaration of peace to those who would accept his gift. The word 'peace' is often used as a greeting today, especially among the Jews ('shalom' means 'peace').  

If you are not feeling especially peaceful as you approach the celebration of Christmas (or at any time of year), consider what changes you can make to your schedule or plans. Can you scale back, create more realistic expectations? What are some of your best Christmas memories? Were those the times when you went all out, or when something major happened, or were they when little things meant much? Were you happiest when you were busy or when you were at rest? Talk with your family about making the season more peaceful by doing less, committing to fewer events, etc. Strive for peace with God, with fellow believers, and with anyone in your sphere of influence.

Have a peaceful Christmas.

8 comments:

  1. I scaled back a number of years ago. It's changed my world.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear more about your Christmas celebration, Janie!

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more. Each year we seem to simply things a little bit more. It reminds me of this quote: I think as you grow older your Christmas list gets shorter, because the things you want can't be bought. - Unknown. K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great quote, K - thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your thoughts Susan, I needed to read this! It has been a busy and stressful time of year thus far, and I have been realizing my need to let go of some of my plans and expectations. It's not worth all of the plans and activities if you aren't able to enjoy and be at peace during this season (and life in general I think). This year, we went to get a Christmas tree together as a family (an annual tradition). However, I realized that it was going to be too busy and stressful to try to decorate it this year. So we just put lights on it. And as hard as it was to let go of that expectation and not feel bad about it, I have to say that I'm really enjoying the look. The tree is beautiful, simple, and soothing to sit by in the evenings. It reminds me of a forest lit by stars. It's been proof to me that sometimes there can be more beauty and enjoyment when things are still special, but simpler. - Jen Ellis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It's not worth all of the plans and activities if you aren't able to enjoy and be at peace during this season (and life in general I think)." Amen, Jen! I think this year is being scaled down for us as well, by virtue of necessity. We still don't have our tree up, or any indoor decorations. Our son is coming home and we are getting a basement room ready for him. The rest of the basement is a mess and that is usually where we put our tree (family room). At least the public areas of our upstairs are presentable, though I'm not sure where the tree will go if we're forced to put it there.

      Delete
  4. It is not the busyness that keeps me from having peace at Christmas. It is the expectations that are in my own head that never materialize. I need to re-adjust!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Good luck to you; I hope we get to hear how you made out with that :)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!