Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Thursday, 15 December 2016

Christmas Spirit

Today's Think Write Thursday topic is to write about holiday spirit. What does it mean to have holiday spirit? Do you feel like you have it this year? Why or why not?


To me, having holiday spirit means being excited about the Christmas season, feeling the anticipation, and looking forward to all of the events and traditions that are part of what makes this time of year so special.

That being said, my Christmas spirit is running a little low just yet. We've had three Advent Sundays at church so far, with the lighting of the candles, and we've got some outdoor decorations up (wreath, lights), so there are those visible/ tangible reminders that yes, Christmas is coming, but we've also been too busy the last few weeks. My husband's running around like crazy at work, then he comes home and works on renovating/refreshing one of our basement rooms for our son. This means ripping out carpet, laying sub-floor, laying vinyl planks, painting, moving furniture from here to there and there to here. Our basement is a mess, and that's usually where we put up our Christmas tree.

I do have the majority of our Christmas cards distributed, and I have bought most of the gifts, but there are still indoor decorations to erect, including the tree, goodies to be baked, gifts to be wrapped, a Christmas luncheon to host, a cocktail party to attend, the house to clean and tidy, and Christmas dinner to prepare and serve. With less than two weeks to go!!



Thankfully, my son is going to come and help his dad this Friday, and my daughter will be home from school Saturday. I know she'll want a break after her exams, but I hope that by Tuesday she'll be ready to help bake, decorate, etc. (Maybe she will read this and feel inspired).

One thing that is helping with my Christmas spirit are the carols I'm hearing as I drive to and from work these days. I heard this one today and really enjoyed it:


 What fires your Christmas spirit the most?
________________
 
This post is part of the Think Write Thursday blog hop hosted by Carole and Kat. If you'd like to join us, sign up here.

14 comments:

  1. Seems there are a few of us running low this season. A cookie baking session sounds like the perfect antidote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will certainly help! Thanks, Juliann!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad to read that I am not the only Holiday Spirit struggler out there! I am going to get some cookies going today, and see where that leads me! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kat, and thanks for commiserating! I hope your cookie-baking leads you to some Christmas spirit, as well as some lovely smells :)

      Delete
  3. Seasonal busy-ness sucks a lot of the "joy" of Christmas right out of the room! I hope your life settles just enough ... that you can find the joy in having your family together. And if the decorations don't happen quite like you want, well that's okay, too. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Kym. Thanks for the encouragement. XO

      Delete
  4. I bet Christmas will come even if you don't have time to decorate, do the tree, bake, and clean the house as you would like to. It will be present in your heart and enjoying your family. Wishing all of you the very best of the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonny. Christmas is coming for sure. As long as we are ready in our hearts, that's the main thing!

      Delete
  5. Spirit, sadly, is low but I'm not a baker. Leaves me needing to purchase large quantities of baked goods. Self-medicating with snickerdoodles is one of my favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the word 'snickerdoodles' is uplifting! Enjoy, Toni!

      Delete
  6. I bet when your daughter gets home and bakes with you there will be Christmas spirit in abundance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thing that gets me most fired up about Christmas is seeing my daughters and grandchildren. This year they'll be coming to visit us. The first wave of the houseful to come will be arriving on Saturday when our normally quiet house will be transformed into a bustle of kids and activity.

    Have a merry Christmas!

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely, Arlee! Enjoy your time with your daughters and grandchildren. Merry Christmas and all the best for 2017!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!