Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Monday, 3 April 2017

Bless

Hopefully you've been blessing your child since s/he was born and it's an established pattern now. John Trent has a great article on blessing your children here. As with most good practices, it's best to start off right at the beginning, but no matter what anyone says, it's never too late to start.

Even though your young adult children may not behave in ways you find pleasing, bless them anyway. We all respond better to a blessing than a curse. If you can remember that you wanted your child and that you want the best for your her, the act of blessing should be fairly easy no matter how frustrated you may be.

Want to know more about what this looks like at this stage of life? Check out Blessing Your Grown Children by Debra Evans. I admit that I haven't yet read the book myself, but I'm going to look for it. It has a 4.36 star rating on Goodreads so should be fairly decent.

A book I can recommend from my personal library is The Power of Positive Prophecy by Laurie Beth Jones. As far as I know, Jones has never been a mother, but she still has much to share on the subject of speaking affirmatively into the lives of others. 

No doubt we can all do better in this area. And who is more important to us than the members of our family?

(While I'm not necessarily talking about this sort of blessing, I think it's nice to end with):
May you always have work for your hands to do.
May your pockets hold always a coin or two.
May the sun shine bright on your windowpane.
May the rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
May the hand of a friend always be near you.
And may God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.
~Irish Blessing

15 comments:

  1. I love that blessing! (Especially the first line.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Tamara! Just read your 'B' post; very interesting!

      Delete
  2. That is such a heart warming blessing. Love it especially the bit about rainbows. The word Blessing itself is a mood lifter, whether giving or getting - great choice for B!

    Best wishes,

    Nilanjana.
    From Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless the Irish and their rich blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have wonderful blessings!

      Delete
  4. I have asked God's blessing upon my children from time to time. And I pray for them often.
    Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer is huge and also blesses your children :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely post and I love that blessing at the end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula - it seems to be a hit with a few people! :)

      Delete
  7. My Mom still bestows blessings all the time and I'm all grown up! I am grateful for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Darcy - you have a great Mom!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!