Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Friday, 28 April 2017

eXercise

X is often a challenge during the A-Z Blogging Challenge and bloggers often "cheat," as I have here. 

I talked a bit about self-care earlier in the month (letter L). Today I suggest one particular way parents can take care of themselves, and that is through exercise. The options are as diverse as each person and no matter how averse you may be to the idea of moving, there's an activity to meet your needs. Our bodies are made up of muscles and we were made for motion. Unless you have a muscular disease or condition that prevents you from engaging in physical activity, get off the couch and do something. You will feel better for it! (If you don't feel better right away, give it some time. Everything worthwhile takes time and effort).


Kick-boxing
I will never be a runner, but I enjoy a brisk walk - alone, with my dog, or at home with a DVD (Leslie Sansone is my personal favourite; my son says she's a "meme" at our house). Others may prefer Pilates, a dance class, cycling, or swimming. 

Physical exercise is a way to show your body that you care about it, and also has benefits for the mind. Just twenty minutes can boost mood for four hours. 

Parenting takes a lot of physical and mental/emotional energy, no matter where your child falls on the age/ development spectrum. An investment in your personal health and well-being is wise indeed. You can't take care of anyone else if you're neglecting yourself.


A great song to rock out to
____________
The letter X is brought to you by the A to Z Blogging Challenge that takes place each April. Join us anytime you like! 

15 comments:

  1. So glad I finally found you. You are absolutely right. If you aren't in top condition, everyone in the family suffers. Find me here. LINK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found me too, Susanne! And that I've found you!

      Delete
  2. I started exercising about an hour a day several years ago because it's fun, it's a de-stress time from parenting, and it combats insomnia.

    X is for the X-37B Space Plane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've exercised regularly at times; unfortunately, sometimes I let it slide. I need to get back at consistency, though having the dog helps (when he doesn't stop to sniff every blade of grass).

      Delete
  3. I understand, I agree and I still find whole days go by or even a whole week and I find I have not really "moved". I really need to be more mindful about it.
    Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all to easy to let time pass without doing anything. Mindful intention followed by action is the key.

      Delete
  4. I am not a fan of exercise but I need to at least get into a walking program!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, Paula! I'm sure you could find a walking buddy or group! How about mall walking?

      Delete
  5. A little exercise is also a huge stress reliever. And I find I sleep better if I've taken a walk or gone to the gym. In fact, I should go hit the trail today while it is sunny an beautiful--and get some Vitamin D while I'm at it.

    http://laurelgarver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Laurel, hitting the trail sounds like an awesome workout. Unfortunately, I've been finding tons of excuses since I've had my little one. The weather in MN is just so fickle. Every time I think I'll go and take out the pram, it's like 30-40 degrees again.

      Delete
    2. Yes, exercise relieves stress and improves sleep - good points! We should get outside as often as possible this time of year. Gardening is great for that, too. You find muscles you'd forgotten about!

      Delete
  6. Great post! Your last sentence is so true, Susan. "You can't take care of anyone else if you're neglecting yourself."

    It reminds me of first aid training where they drilled into us that if we injure ourselves in an emergency we can't help anyone else.

    Emily | My Life In Ecuador | Xanthophobia, Xenoepist, Xyzlacatosis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great analogy, Emily. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. My letter x was eXercise as well :)
    I love Leslie Sansone... she gives me a good workout with the right amount of cheerleading!
    Journaling: Y is for Yearly Word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's very upbeat and inspiring!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!