Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Friday, 21 April 2017

Respect

While we may not always agree with each other's point of view or belief system, we need to respect each other. This applies not just to you and me, but to ourselves and our children. I know my focus is supposed to be on young adult children, but really a lot of what I'm saying pertains to children of any age.

If you look at the child-friendly version of the United Nations' Convention of the Rights of the Child(the most readable version), you'll see that a number of rights deal with issues of respect (e.g. articles 12, 14, 16). 

What is respect anyway?

As a noun, respect is
deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment; favour or partiality

As a verb, respect is
to hold in esteem or honor; to show regard or consideration for; to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with
-from dictionary.com 
Whether you look at the noun or verb (and I've been approaching the A-Z Challenge using verbs), respect is something we all yearn for. But respect is also something that is earned, not automatically given. It is hard to respect someone who treats others badly, for example. 

If you google 'ways to earn respect,' you'll get lots of hits - some specific to on the job, or in the context of marriage or family. This is one of the best general articles I found. It raises an interesting point about self-respect as well: it's hard for others to esteem you if you don't respect yourself. 

When your children disagree with you, respect their right to a differing opinion and don't be afraid. We can all learn something if questions are permitted and asked. Truth can always stand up to critical thinking.
_____________________
The letter R is brought to you by the A to Z Blogging Challenge that takes place each April. Join us anytime you like!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you - your words encouraged my heart as I am reminded to show respect to my college age children. It's easy for me to want their respect, but I often forget they need mine too. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you as well, Nancy! Thank you for letting me know how my words encouraged you!

      Delete
  2. And then there is Aretha Franklin's song "Respect" -- an anthem for resistance to being disrespected back in the day that has since become a classic. Great post! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for visiting mine, Molly :)

      Delete
  3. Even though I have never been a gushy child person, the fact that I tend to treat them like tiny adults usually has them adoring me. I think they sense the respect in that.
    Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there's the proof that respect for others is rewarded :)

      Delete
  4. I think one of the greatest things is when they respect you and you respect them. Also one of the hardest to do when they are acting like a tiny child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very hard to "keep your head when all about you
      are losing theirs," isn't it? (quote courtesy of Rudyard Kipling's poem, If...

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!