Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Wednesday, 10 May 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge


It's been a while since I participated in the Wednesday Hodgepodge. To be honest, I found there were too many questions to respond to and it was taking up too much of my time. But Joyce, the Hodgepodge founder and coordinator, has decided to cut back on the number of questions and I will give it another try. If all goes well, this will mean a shift in the day I post my Right Now entries.

Here goes:

1. Share a favorite memory of your mother or share a favorite something from your own life as a mother. If you're a mother (or stepmom) tell us how your experience as a mom differs from your own mother's experience.

My mom can be slapstick at times and we often thought she could have her own version of The Carol Burnett Show. Some of my best memories of my mom as I grew up were those times she was just being silly or telling funny stories. I'm a mom myself now and my young adult children definitely appreciate my sense of humour (even if they do roll their eyes, they're still smiling!). My experience as a mom is different from my mother's in that I have a boy and a girl (she had two girls but lost one to cancer) and the challenges we face in the 21st century require different parenting skills and approaches. 

 2. In May we celebrate teachers (May 9) and nurses (May 6) both. Most every family has at least one in their midst, so tell us something (or a few things) you appreciate about the teacher or nurse on your family tree.


My mom got her university and teaching degrees as a very mature adult. She didn't get to use her teaching degree for long and taught computer keyboarding and office-type software to adult students, but her willingness to persevere and go back to school for something she always wanted are certainly inspirational. If you want something badly enough, you shouldn't let any artificial obstacles (such as age) stand in your way!

 3. Chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad...which would you go for if all three were on the menu? On bread or a bed of lettuce? If you answered bread, what kind of bread would make it the perfect sandwich?


I'd go for the tuna. I rarely eat poultry these days and I'm particular about how I like my eggs, even in a sandwich. I'd have my tuna on whole wheat bread with lettuce or spinach.

 4. Do you have a desk? Is it organized? If so, share your secret to keeping it that way. If you don't have a desk, where in your home do you take care of family paperwork and business? Where do you normally sit to blog?


I have a desk but it isn't terribly organized at the moment. Something I need to work on. My desktop is on my desk and that is where I normally blog. Today I am blogging from a computer at work while I'm on my lunch hour.

 



5. When I was nine years old....

It seems to me that everything happened when I was nine years old. My parents divorced that year, my cousin came to live with us for several months and introduced me to ice cream as a comfort food, I gained weight and became 'chubby'. I'm sure I could think of other things if I had more time...

 6. Insert your own random thought here.


I've just finished reading Andy Andrews' book 'The Little Things: Why You Really SHOULD Sweat the Small Stuff.' He has a way of turning everything you've accepted as true on its head. Stay tuned for my book review, coming Tuesday.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. That books sounds interesting. I can't wait for the review as I love read. Glad you have such good memories of your mom growing up. I hope my kids will be able to say that about me one day as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. I love reading too and try to post a new review every week :)

      Delete
  2. The book sounds good. Can't wait to see your review. Your mom sounds awesome. You were very lucky. I'm sorry your parents divorced. That is hard on any kid. My dad died when I was 7 and my mom remarried and oh boy was he a winner!! LOL! I skipped the Hodgepodge this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be hard when parents remarry. The new 'mom' or new 'dad' are interested in their spouse and don't necessarily look as kindly on the children. But it's a package deal! My mom has never remarried and I don't suppose she will now...

      Delete
  3. My mom worked outside the home (she was a nurse) and I don't. So my sister and I were much more independent and self-sufficient than my kids. Oops.

    I was a college math professor for three years and taught as a grad student for four. My husband is still a college math professor as was his dad.

    My mom makes the best egg salad and tuna salad, so I don't know if I could pick just one. No break or lettuce needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed by anyone who is that good at math, LOL! You don't need to impress me with your parenting, too :P

      Delete
  4. So interesting, Susan! I don't always post here but I always read you. It seems as if you're in a renaissance of expression now that you have a bit more time (now that the kids are older).
    Particularly enjoyed your ... when I was nine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting here today, Anonymous! (So mysterious that name) ;)

      Delete
    2. what I thought of after I wrote the above is that your 'when I was nine' paragraph would make a terrific start to a book.
      I'm pretty sure you know who I am, but here, because sometimes it can get personal, I prefer to remain the mysterious anonymous.
      Anyway, happy birthday and happy mother's day!

      Delete
    3. I am pretty sure I know who you are, too ;) And thanks for the book suggestion!

      Delete
  5. I just finished the Andy Andrews book too and loved it. I can't wait to read your review. I love tuna salad and your comment about it made me want one for lunch. Sad thing...it is not what I packed for lunch today. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the book as well - you affirm my experience of it!

      I don't have any chicken or tuna in the house right now, and I'm not feeling eggy. Today's lunch was soup :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for stopping by. Enjoyed your post. Happy Mother's Day and birthday. The books sounds interesting. Will check our your review.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!