Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Monday, 1 May 2017

Zip It

Saturday I talked about yelling; today I'm going to talk about its counterpart - staying quiet. Sometimes you just have to zip it. In other words, shut your mouth, close your trap, remain silent, hold your tongue, and any other variation on the same theme.

At the risk of stereotyping, teenagers and young adult children often think they know it all and have the answers. They think their parents have suddenly become stupid and can't believe they ever thought us all-wise. Alas, how far we have fallen in their esteem. 

Don't worry; it'll all change in a few (or several) years. 

There's no advantage to be gained in arguing, debating, presenting facts, to someone who has his mind made up and doesn't want to listen. Someone who doesn't think you have anything of value to say. Instead, bite your tongue and save your breath. Hang on to what you know to be true and let your young adult children learn from experience. It is, after all, a most effective teacher.

No doubt your children have a pretty good idea by now of your beliefs, values and understanding of the world. If you are wrong about anything, you can watch and learn as your offspring set out to prove you so. If you are right, you may well hear so sometime down the road. And you will have the satisfaction of having kept your thoughts to yourself so they could discover truth first-hand.

Whatever you do at that time, don't say "I told you so" or "I could have told you." No one likes to hear that. And besides, they'll already know that. 

  ________________
The letter Z is brought to you by the A to Z Blogging Challenge that takes place each April. Today's is the last post for 2017. Thank you for visiting and if you missed any of my posts on parenting young adults, just go to the 'Blog Archive' sidebar and click on any subject that interests you.

6 comments:

  1. All very true. Sometimes a parent's tongue looks like a tenderized cutlet from biting it!
    The AtoZ is over! Time now for about 12 hours sleep. 😔 Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know sometimes I'm clenching my teeth - probably to prevent myself from opening my mouth!

      Delete
  2. I'm still waiting for my adult children to think I know what I'm talking about! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bound to happen eventually!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!