Copyright

Please note that all posts are copyright. Do not reprint in whole or in part without permission of the author. You may refer to one of my posts in your own writing; simply include the link(s) so readers can be taken directly to my work. Thank you, and enjoy! ~Susan

Wednesday, 14 June 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. 
1. The Hodgepodge lands on June 14th this week, Flag Day in the US of A. Do you fly your country's flag at home? Sometimes, often, or every single day? Have you ever visited the city of Brotherly Love (Philadelphia)? Did you make a point of seeing The Betsy Ross House? Have you ever made a trip to Baltimore? If so, was Fort McHenry on your itinerary? (where Francis Scott Key was inspired to write The Star Spangled Banner)

We don’t fly the Canadian flag at home, though we have occasionally displayed it when we’ve traveled to other countries. We’ve visited Philadelphia House, but not Betsy Ross House. I think it was generally pointed out to us when we were on a hop-on, hop-off bus tour though. We’ve never been to Baltimore, but we’ve been to Canada’s capital city, Ottawa, a few times. It’s beautiful and very pedestrian/cyclist friendly. George Stanley, the designer of the Canadian flag, was situated in Kingston, Ontario, a city we have also visited.

To learn more about the history of the Canadian flag, go here.
 

2. Red flag or white flag? Which have you encountered most recently? Explain.

Our flag is red and white.


3. Are you a stay in the car listen to the end of a song kind of person? What kind of person is that?

It depends on the song and whether or not I’m pressed to get to my destination. I’m not sure what kind of person you have to be to stay in the car to listen to the end of a song, are you? Maybe someone who needs closure?  

4. What are some of the traits or qualities you think a good dad possesses? In other words, what makes a good dad? What's an expression you associate with your father?
A good dad is patient, kind, loving, generous with his time. He always tries to see and bring out the best in his children. He corrects them when he needs to, but always in love.

I didn’t grow up with my father, but my wonderful grandfather had numerous expressions I remember and keep alive. One was “little girl gets one.”
 

5. What's one rule you always disagreed with while growing up? Is that rule somehow still part of your adult life? Is that a good or bad thing?

I wasn’t allowed to go to movies because it was considered to be supporting Hollywood and the immoral lifestyle promoted by the secular entertainment industry. The one exception was Joni, which tells the true story of a 17-year-old girl who is paralyzed in a swimming accident and how she comes to terms with her quadriplegia.

When I started dating in my 20s, my first boyfriend and I used to go to movies fairly regularly. But when I got together with the man who is now my husband, he wasn’t much of a movie-goer and I didn’t really care. Today we will go see the odd movie, but usually no more than once or twice a year. 
Now that movies are put on DVDs, we can often wait until the DVD is available at the library to see something we’re interested in.

I don’t think going to movies is either a good or bad thing, though “Hollywood” still puts out a lot of what I would term “junk.” Today there seems to be somewhat of a push to produce clean movies as well, and I try to support them when I can. These production companies need to make a profit or  won’t be able to continue.
 

6. Insert your own random thought here.

This is the day that the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it. 
_____________________
Please join us for the Wednesday Hodgepodge by clicking here!

4 comments:

  1. Amen to #6! I, too, am thankful for good memories of my grandfather. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Paula!

      Delete
  2. I've never been to Philadelphia, but I've been to Baltimore many times. My son used to live there. I have indeed visited Fort McHenry, which was interesting.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend living in Baltimore now, so you never know. I may get there sometime. There are just so many places on my travel wish list!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and try to respond to each one!